Other Useful Information and Tips
Moving to a new country can be stressful and it may take you some time to get used to the island way of life. The Cayman Islands, although considered an Overseas Territory to the UK, is a separate country with its own culture and way of life. Cayman lacks the usual hustle and bustle of major cities: however, you will find many friendly faces to help make your transition stress-free.
- Before travel ensure you have evidence of any professional memberships, and copies of your employment contract, university/college degree and immigration documentation.
- Obtain references and copies of your bank statements from your bank and any records with credit companies. This will make it easier to open a bank account in the Cayman Islands.
- Obtain a letter from your auto insurance carrier stating your no claim record, as this will help with securing a more economical rate with an on island auto insurance carrier should you wish to purchase a vehicle.
- Bring your driver’s license
- Employees do not incur income tax in the Cayman Islands; however, prior to your departure it’s advisable to research the tax implications of moving to the Cayman Islands within your home country.
- GSM mobiles work in the Cayman Islands. You can choose to either have them unlocked before your departure or this can be done on island for a fee ranging between CI$25 -CI$75.
- There are several telecommunication companies in the Cayman Islands, which offers a wide range of mobile, landline and internet services.
- Most banks are open Monday to Thursday, 9am to 4pm and Friday to 4:30pm. Some branches are open for a short period on Saturday.
- Businesses and retail stores are closed on Sunday, with the exception of bars, restaurants, and some shops that cater for the tourist market.
- The healthcare system in the Cayman Islands is a good standard. If you are on medication, get a bumper prescription from your doctor in your home country before you move, to give yourself time to settle in without the pressure of finding a new doctor.